I had a chance to meet with Carolyn Karlson, a college consultant who also owns a horse business. We had a great conversation about many topics that hit close to home with parents of high school or college students. She has two children in college and has been through the process of college admissions and selection.
About Carolyn Karlson
As President of Starting Gate College Consulting, Carolyn Karlson, Ph.D. has 25 years of experience in higher education, having worked as a professor, academic advisor, program director, and graduate school dean. She holds a Ph.D. from Michigan State University, a MS from Columbia University, and a BA from Simmons College. Her academic appointments include the University of Notre Dame, College of Notre Dame of Maryland, and the University of Maryland College Park.
About Starting Gate Consulting
Starting Gate Consulting works with students to select schools that match their academic interests, personal goals and professional aspirations.
In This Episode You Will Learn
- why she started her college consulting business
- what advice she would give to someone starting high school today
- how to start the college search
- do undergraduate majors matter or is it more important to just get the degree
- her position on the famous mantra do what you love and the money will follow
- best approach to picking the college to attend
- her interesting terminology of good bet, possible, and long shot schools
- as parents how to help our children manage and deal with stress today
- the importance of study abroad
- what types of students should do business school and get MBA
Helpful Links And Resources